The panel layout process
To generate panel layout, follow the process as listed below:
- Complete schematic drawings.
- Create a new page and set scale and measurement units.
- Place base plates, cable ducts and rails on the new page.
- Click on menu Generate Layout and use the Generate Layout window to assign components.
- Click on Generate or Generate All button to generate layout.
- Use guides to place and align layout shapes.
Preparing a page for panel layout
Pages on the New Electra drawing template are set at 1:1 scale and measurement units set at inches. These page settings are optimized for schematic drawings. To prepare a page for panel layout drawings:
- Click on the + icon on pages menu.
- Click on the File menu and then on Page Setup. Or click on the page setup icon, on the bottom left of your editor.
- Click on the Scale input and enter a source unit. Then click on the Scale target input and enter a target unit (Recommended: 1:5 for smaller panels and 1:10 for bigger panels).
- On the Measurement units drop down, select millimeters.
Inserting plates, cable ducts and rails
One of the first thing to do during panel layout drawings is to insert a plate (base plate or front plate). To insert a plate, select the Layout stencil and drag the plate symbol to your drawing. All Plate symbols have automatic dimensions that you can show or hide by right clicking on the plate. Users can also set units for plates, cable ducts and rails to be displayed on a drawing by right clicking on these symbols.
To measure length and diameters, Electra provides dimensioning shapes on the Layout stencil to be dragged and dropped on drawings. All of them automatically display the dimension when their handles are dragged. Right click on dimension shapes for more options.
Generating panel layout
To generate panel layout:
- Click menu Generate Layout.
- Ensure that all references are matched correctly with components.
- Click the Generate All button on the Generate Layout window.
- Place and arrange generated components on your panel layout drawings.
When the Generate All button is pressed, Electra will automatically synchronize your panel layout to your schematics. For example, you may have added or deleted some symbols on your schematics, and Generate Layout will insert or delete components accordingly. If you have changed the references of your schematics, GenerateLayout will also automatically reflect this change.
Using guides to place layout shapes
To create a guide:
- Drag on the ruler and drop a guide in any position.
Once a guide is created, drag layout symbol to guides for attachment (shape handles will turn red). When guides are moved, all syymbols that are attached to guides will automatically move and follow guides.
Placing shapes on a guide:
- Drag shapes onto the guide (center of shape will turn red to indicate latching on guide).
Using 3D layout shapes
To use the Layout 3D shapes, click on the stencil menu, and open the stencil "Layout3D".
Making your own layout shapes
To make your own layout shape:
- Draw lines, arcs and graphics or drag and drop a CAD drawing or an image of the layout shape onto Electra.
- Group all shapes and select them.
- Click on menu Create Layout Symbol.
- Type in a name for the layout symbol.
- Click OK.
An icon will be generated automatically when the layout symbol is added to a stencil. Right click on the layout symbol in the stencil and select Edit Icon to modify layout symbol icon.